The Big Game is right around the corner, and all I can think about is spicy buffalo cauliflower tacos! I love ordering buffalo cauli at restaurants, so I thought it might be time to attempt it at home. This recipe is baked, not fried, and includes the BEST avocado crema. Dallas peeps: It tastes just like Urban Taco’s avocado lime crema. It was all I could do not to eat it all with tortilla chips before the cauliflower was ready.
If you’re cautious about battered, baked cauliflower, I feel you. But you will not be sorry you tried this recipe (view the original over at Pinch of Yum!). Ease into this cauliflower-centric dish by making it into a comforting and delicious taco.
For the buffalo cauliflower tacos:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- 1 head cauliflower (4-5 cups florets)
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Buffalo)
- shredded cabbage or slaw
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- whole wheat tortillas
For the avocado crema:
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 450. Whisk flour, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder until batter forms.
- Dip cauliflower pieces individually into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Bake on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until lightly crisped and browned.
- Remove the baked cauliflower from the oven and gently toss with hot sauce. Return to pan and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Mix all avocado crema ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Toss the slaw with some of the avocado crema.
- Fill each tortilla with slaw, cauliflower, a drizzle of avocado crema, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!