Chocolate chips + bananas = the perfect combo! So of course I doubled the recipe for this chocolate chip banana bread and made two loaves and bonus muffins. It was the right thing to do! The addition of Greek yogurt makes this recipe a keeper…I use Greek yogurt in my pumpkin bread (also great with chocolate chips FYI) and it’s a game changer.
We ate these muffins for breakfast all weekend, but feel free to get crazy and switch things up by eating them for dessert. They’re pretty much perfect for any occasion, so you should make them. The original recipe is over on Lovely Little Kitchen – you can view it here!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or sliced almonds (optional, I left these out per Hunty’s request)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs in one at a time and mix well. Add vanilla extract, mashed bananas and Greek yogurt, mixing well after each ingredient.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add flour to wet ingredients and mix until just combined on low speed.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour batter evenly into baking pans. For loaves, bake 55-60 minutes. For muffins, bake 25-30 minutes.
- This recipe makes one loaf of bread and six(ish) muffins. You can double it and make two loaves and twelve muffins, or adjust to your banana bread vehicle of choice (all muffins, all breads…mini muffins).
- I’ve included baking times for bread and muffins in the instructions above! Don’t forget to adjust accordingly.