It is #TXCookieTime, AKA the best time of year to put your New Year’s resolutions on hold to indulge in a treat for a good cause. Fun fact: did you know that girl scouts have been selling cookies for 100 years? As a former girl scout, I can attest to the fact that my family bought at least 50% of my boxes every year. And we ate them. Because they are delicious.
In addition to tasting great, selling cookies teaches valuable skills, and the proceeds are used to provide unique local experiences for girls! This year, we received a special package from Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas complete with a brand new cookie. And I’m pleased to say that it is 100% Hunter approved (obviously it’s also approved by me, it’s a cookie). Girl Scout S’Mores™ are graham cracker sandwich cookies with marshmallow and chocolate filling – basically a S’more without the mess! I’ll take it!
We decided to celebrate Texas Cookie Time and the launch of probably my new favorite girl scout cookie by making What’s Gaby Cooking’s S’mores brownies, naturally.
- 1-2 packages of Girl Scout S’mores™ cookies
- 10 tbsp (a little over a stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups large marshmallows
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the sugar and cocoa powder once the butter is melted. Whisk to combine and remove from heat.
- Add the salt, vanilla and eggs, continuously whisking until the eggs are combined. Add the flour and continue to mix. Set batter aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer on low speed. Add the eggs and vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set dough aside.
- Next, assemble. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan with tin foil. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Layer the cookie dough on the bottom of the pan, pressing down to form the bottom brownie layer.
- Top with as many S’mores cookies that will fit on top of the cookie dough, in one layer.
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the S’mores cookie layer and spread evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test with a knife to see if the center is done. If the knife comes out clean, remove the brownies from the oven and pile on the marshmallows. If the knife comes out with batter still on it, allow the brownies to bake about 5 minutes more and then add the marshmallows. Let the brownies and marshmallows rest for 30 minutes so the marshmallows stick to the top layer. Using a blow torch, torch the top of the marshmallows until toasted. Cut and serve as needed. (Sadly, I do not own a blow torch – YET – so I used the broiler around 400 degrees for 10 minutes).
- Chill the brownies and cut when they’re cold – I know it’s hard but it makes serving them SO much easier!
Are you hungry yet? Find girl scout cookies near you here! And make sure you tag your photos with #TXCookieTime 🙂