Your desk lunch doesn’t have to be sad. In fact, it can be the highlight of your workday if you put a little planning into it.
Of course, ideally we would all be sitting on a patio somewhere sipping cocktails and enjoying a nice cheese board, but sometimes that’s just not an option. Now, with the invention of mason jar salads and major improvements in the plastic lunch container world (how cool are these adult lunch boxes?) lunch at your desk can officially be less depressing and more enjoyable.
Key attributes of a great desk lunch include:
- Portability (major key)
- Ability to fit in office fridge
- Easy assembly
- Minimal mess
- Great tasting (necessary)
- Healthy (for the most part…)
Today I give you two options that meet all of the above criteria:
- Lemon Tarragon Salad with Sautéed Vegetables + Veggie Burger with Lemon Hummus and Sprouts (my current fave)
- LL’s Salad in a Jar (bonus: makes a great Instagram)
Lemon Tarragon Salad with Sautéed Veggies
- A handful of spinach
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- A handful of sliced almonds
- 1/2 an avocado
- Red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Lemon Tarragon Vinaigrette (great recipe here, or you can use Brianna’s brand)
- On meal prep day (Sunday for moi) slice up your onion and bell pepper.
- Sauté both with olive oil and vinegar – I used red wine, as you can see!
- Chop your cucumber and get your veggies ready for the week in plastic containers or ziplock baggies. I usually prep the avocado at work.
- To assemble, combine the salad ingredients and top with avocado, salt and pepper.
Veggie Burger with Lemon Hummus and Sprouts
- Amy’s veggie burger (I buy the 1/4 pound burgers, which are more filling than some of the other burgers out there PLUS they come in a pack of four that I can keep at the office)
- A few tablespoons of lemon hummus (garbanzo beans, tahini, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper and EVOO blended – great recipe here!)
- This one’s super easy, just heat up the veggie burger, and top with hummus and sprouts. I like to eat this with the salad so I’m not hungry 0.50 seconds later. I also usually top with S+P.
LL’s Salad in a Jar (courtesy of my friend and coworker Lauren AKA LL!)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- A handful of mixed greens
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 red onion
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- This salad recipe is totally customizable – ingredients/amounts are totally up to the creator! Prep the night before by chopping bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and red onion.
- Layer your ingredients in a mason jar, starting with oil and vinegar at the bottom and working up to the greens, which should stay on top.
- When you’re ready to eat, just shake and transfer to the bowl of your choice!
These are just a few of my current favorites, but make sure you check out this roundup of 27 Awesome Easy Lunches to Bring to Work for even more desk lunch inspo.