Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are back on the blog! This loaded zoodle bowl is one of my favorite lunches right now because it’s light and fresh, easy to prep, and with plenty of veggies and an herb pesto, it’s super healthy!
About a month ago I tested out Love & Lemons’ spring broccolini and kale quinoa bowls and became obsessed with herb pesto. I loved the broccolini and kale quinoa bowls too and started to play around with different ingredients, but always kept the pesto the same (minus the peas, can’t do peas).
As you know from my roasted red peppers with pesto zucchini noodles and goat cheese and sweet potato noodle bowls posts, I love my spiralizer! So of course I felt the need to incorporate zoodles. You could also make a delicious lunch bowl with cucumber noodles (I did this a few weeks ago with the same pesto and it was awesome!).
First, the pesto. I love this pesto and would probably put it on anything .
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup basil
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more if desired
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pulse the hemp seeds, garlic and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Add the spinach, basil and dill and pulse again. Add the lemon juice and Dijon mustard. While the processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil.
For a thinner pesto, add more olive oil until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
Now, onto the rest of the bowl ingredients.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 medium to large zucchinis
- 1 bunch asparagus
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- avocado and sliced almonds for topping, if desired
Note: I prepare these bowls ahead of time in bulk and take them to work to assemble. You can easily adjust ingredients for one serving size though!
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat when finished.
- Prepare a large pot of salted boiling water and a large bowl of ice water. Chop asparagus (or don’t) and add to the boiling water. Blanch for about 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer the asparagus to the ice water and let it cool for 1 minute. Drain and set aside to dry.
- Spiralize zucchini (spaghetti-style noodle setting) and set aside.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Place the kale into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Massage the leaves until they soften and wilt down.
- When you’re ready to assemble the bowl, layer the quinoa, zoodles, kale, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes. Top with a spoonful pesto.
- Season to taste with additional olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.