Spring is here and I’m catching a major veggie vibe! We worked this roasted vegetable orzo recipe into last week’s dinner lineup and it was a hit. Lemon, garlic, fresh produce and Mediterranean flavors for the win.
This dish could serve as a main or side, and you can always opt to add chicken or shrimp for protein! The original recipe can be found over on Vanilla and Bean.
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers, deseeded and diced (you can use the minis, I did!)
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, small diced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2-3 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp parsley, chopped (adding mint to the recipe next time too!)
- 3-4 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the lemon vinaigrette:
- 2-3 additional tbsp. EVOO
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and fill with zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, tomatoes, garlic and the shallot. Drizzle with EVOO and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss well and roast for 30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- While the veggies roast, make the orzo. In a large sauté pan, heat one tbsp EVOO over medium heat until shimmering. Add the orzo and stir, coating thoroughly. Toast for about three minutes or until orzo is golden. Add the veggie broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until the orzo absorbs all the broth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the dressing! In a small bowl, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and zest, salt, red pepper flakes, some of the parsley, and black pepper. Whisk and season to taste.
- Add the roasted veggies to the orzo and mix well. Stir in dressing, fresh herbs, feta and pine nuts. Enjoy immediately!