Sweet potato season is in full swing at our house! I love sweet potatoes year-round, but especially in the fall. They’ve been involved in many a chili dinner over the past couple of weeks. I also love avocado toast (basic, I know, but whatever it’s easy and good). So naturally, when I heard about combining sweet potatoes and avocado toast, I had to test it out.
I put a seasonal spin on the recipe by topping the “toasts” with Pom Wonderful Pom Poms. I’m thinking this one will be a healthy addition to our holiday appetizer spreads this year. I kept it dairy free this time, but next time I might toss a little goat cheese on top. Who knows, things might get crazy.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (go for the ones that will be easiest to slice into ovals that are about 1/2 – 1/4 inch thin)
- 2 avocados
- 1 lemon + zest
- 2-3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp ground chipotle pepper powder or chili powder
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Clean your sweet potatoes and slice them into 1/2 inch – 1/4 inch thin ovals. Using a mandoline would be a great idea as I almost lost a few fingers slicing.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and arrange the sweet potato slices. Sprinkle with chipotle pepper powder/chili powder, salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potato slices are roasting, prep the avocado topping. Mix the avocados with lemon juice and more S+P.
- When the potato slices are finished, pop them in the toaster to crisp them up. Yes seriously. The key to this dish is warm and crispy sweet potatoes. Top with the avocado mixture, hemp seeds, pomegranate seeds, lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes. Enjoy immediately!