As we say at our house, “when in doubt, make chili.” I mean, what’s not to love about chili? It’s easy to throw together, makes fantastic leftovers, and provides the opportunity to use all of your favorite toppings. This version is hearty, healthy and vegetarian!
I’ve been obsessing over this black bean sweet potato chili recipe since October. You can find the original over on What’s Gaby Cooking! Sweet potatoes are making major appearances in our weeknight dinner rotation and I’ll be sharing another one of our favorite sweet potato dishes next week, so stay tuned!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- Juice of one lime
- 2-3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat EVOO in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sweet potato, poblano and onion and cook for about five minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder, chipotle pepper powder, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring mixture to a boil. Stir to combine.
- Cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, until quinoa is fully cooked and the mixture looks like chili!
- Add lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro and cheese and serve immediately! You can keep leftovers in the fridge for the week or freeze them and keep longer.