If you are a big hummus fan like me, this white bean and asparagus flatbread recipe is for you! Hunter says this may even be his new favorite meal (it has a healthy dose of carbs with toasted whole wheat naan, and is topped with pine nuts and feta so what’s not to like?). I’ll definitely be celebrating spring weather and spring ingredients on the patio with these little gems and a big green salad.
As you can see from my recent posts, white beans have pretty much become a staple for us. This kale, white bean and sweet potato noodle bake is another recipe that consistently makes an appearance in our weeknight dinner rotation. Legumes are a great way to make vegetarian meals more filling!
The original version of this recipe can be found in the Love & Lemons cookbook – which I highly recommend you invest in if you enjoy plant based meals! The recipes are fresh and flavorful and always utilize seasonal ingredients.
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 pieces whole wheat naan
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp zest
- 1 bunch fresh mint (dill would also be delicious)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-4 tbsp EVOO
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 and prep the white bean puree. Combine cannellini beans, 2 tbsp EVOO, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor. Process until the mixture looks like hummus, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place naan on a large baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Bake for 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Using a peeler, shave asparagus into ribbons. Toss them in a bowl with another drizzle of olive oil and remaining lemon juice. Season with S+P.
- Build your flatbreads! Spread white bean puree onto toasted naan and top each one with asparagus ribbons, feta, mint, pine nuts, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes. Season with a little more fresh pepper if desired.